Walter H. Fick received a B.S. (1973) and M.S. (1975) in agronomy from the University of Nebraska and the Ph.D in range science from Texas Tech University (1978). He is currently a professor and extension rangeland management specialist in the Department of Agronomy at Kansas State University. Dr. Fick has research/extension responsibilities and interest in prescribed burning, grazing management, and invasive species. With over 35 years of experience, Dr. Fick is responsible for teaching grassland monitoring & assessment, range ecology, and range management planning. He has conducted research on invasive species including musk thistle, sericea lespedeza, roughleaf dogwood, saltcedar, common honeylocust, and Old World Bluestems. He has trained 3 Ph.D candidates and 12 M.S. students.
Address: Department of Agronomy Phone: (785) 532-7223
Throckmorton Hall Fax: (785) 532-6094
Kansas State University E-Mail: email@example.com
Manhattan, KS 66506
Ph.D., 1978, Texas Tech University, Agriculture (Range Science)
M.S., 1975, University of Nebraska, Agronomy (Range Management)
B.S., 1973, University of Nebraska, Agronomy (Range Management)
*Professor and Extension Rangeland Management Specialist
*Research (0.3 FTE) emphasizes invasive weed/brush management, biology and contro l of noxious weeds
*Extension (0.5 FTE) emphasizes prescribed burning, brush and weed control, and grazing management
*Teaching (0.2 FTE) includes grassland monitoring & assessment, range ecology, range management planning
MEMBERSHIP IN HONORARY AND PROFESSIONAL SOCIETIES
Phi Eta Sigma Society for Range Management
Alpha Zeta Weed Science Society of America
Gamma Sigma Delta Crop Science Society of America
Sigma Xi Kansas Academy of Science
Phi Kappa Phii North Central Weed Science Society
American Society of Agronomy Kansas Forage and Grassland Council
HONORS AND AWARDS
*Persistence Pays Off Award for Grassland Management Program Faculty, Great Plain IDEA, 2013
*Certificate of Excellence, Educational Materials Award, American Society of Agronomy, 2012
*Distinguished Achievement Award for Education, North Central Weed Science Society, 2011
*KSRE Team Award, Kansas Flint Hills Smoke Management Plan Team, 2011
*Meritorious Research Award, Kansas Forage & Grassland Council, 2010
*Outstanding Advising, College of Agriculture, Kansas State University, 2004-2005
*Trail Boss Award, Kansas Section, Society for Range Management, 2004
*Outstanding Advising Award of Merit, Gamma Sigma Delta, Kansas State University, 2002
*Rangeland Invasive Species Committee, Society for Range Management, 2003-2015
*Newsletter Editor, Kansas Section, Society for Range Management, 1992-2015
*Teaching Award Subcommittee, Range Science Education Council, 2009-2013
*Legislation, Regulatory & Public Policy Committee, North Central Weed Science Society, 2006-2008
*Chairman, Forage & Range Weed Control Section, North Central Weed Science Society, 2004
*Co-Chairman, Program Committee, 2002 Society for Range Management Annual Meeting, Kansas City, MO
$64,400 Private industry
$40,500 Department of Defense, Department of Army
$10,189 USDA-AFRI-Cap (collaborator)
GRADUATE STUDENT ADVISEES
Major professor for 3 Ph.D., 12 M.S. students,
3 Grassland Management Graduate Certificate
On graduate committee for 9 Ph.D and 12 M.S. students
Currently advising 1 M.S. and 1 Ph.D, students
PUBLICATIONS (225 total bulletins, abstracts, book chapters, and journal articles)
- Cable, T.T., W.H Fick, and E.J. Raynor. 2015. The potential impacts of saltcedar eradication (Tamarix) on the birds of the Cimarron National Grassland. Trans. Kansas Acad. Sci. 118:41-47.
- Preedy, G.W., L.W. Murray, W.H. Fick, L.A. Pacheco, E.A. Bailey, D.L. Davis, A.V. Siverson, and K.C. Olson. 2013. High-tannin forage utilization by beef cows V. Effects of corn steep liquor supplementation on dietary botanical composition of beef cows grazing native range infested by sericea lespedeza (Lespedeza cuneata). Proc. West. Sec. Amer. Soc. Anim. Sci. 64:317-325.
- Pacheco, L.A., W.H. Fick, E.A. Bailey, D.L. Davis, G.W. Preedy, and K.C. Olson. 2012. Effects of co-grazing on herbivory patterns and performance of cattle and goats grazing native tallgrass rangeland infested by sericea lespedeza (Lespedeza cuneata). Proc. West. Sec. Amer. Soc. Anim. Sci. 63:169-172.
- Fick, W.H., and W.A. Geyer. 2011. Herbicides for saltcedar control in Kansas. Abstracts, Kansas Natural Resources Conference, January 20-21, Wichita, KS. Kansas State Univ. Agr. Exp. Sta. and Coop. Ext. Serv.
- Fick, W.H. and W.A. Geyer. 2010. Cut-stump treatment of saltcedar (Tamarix ramosissima) on the Cimarron National Grasslands. Trans. Kansas Acad. Sci. 113:223-226
- Fick, W.H., W.A. Geyer, and J. Barber. 2009. Control of common sunflower (Helianthus annuus) in artillery range trials at Ft. Riley, Kansas. Weed Technol. 23:540-543.
- Wolf, Robert, Dallas Peterson, Walter Fick, Jeffrey Davidson, and Gary Kilgore. 2007. The evaluation of boomless nozzles for weed control in pastures, rangeland, and on roadsides. Proc. Western Soc. Weed Sci. Portland, OR. Paper No. 116.
- Dudley, D.M., and W.H. Fick. 2003. Effects of sericea lespedeza residues on selected tallgrass prairie grasses. Trans. Kansas Acad. Sci. 106:166-170.
- Geyer, W.A., W.H. Fick, J. Carlisle, and J. Barbur. 2002. Weed management on military storage gravel lots. Trans. Kansas Acad. Sci.105:65-70.
- Geyer, W.A., J. Carlisle, W.H. Fick, and J. Barbur. 2000. Weed management on military artillery ranges. Trans. Kansas Acad. Sci. 103:58-63.
- Janicke, G.L., and W.H. Fick. 1998. Prescribed burning effects on total nonstructural carbohydrates of roughleaf dogwood. Trans. Kansas Acad. Sci. 101:39-48.
- Nolte, D.L., and W.H. Fick. 1992. Tebuthiuron application for brush control in the northern Flint Hills, Kansas. Trans. Kansas Acad. Sci. 95:100-108.
- Fick, W.H. 1986. Control of bolted musk thistle using clopyralid. Down to Earth. 42:10-13.